Sunday 8 July 2012

10 Minutes in Reading


On July 7th I heard there was a couple of special coming through Reading so living just down the road I just had to pop down.
Britannia class 70017 Oliver Cromwell was booked to come through so I thought as I havnt seen it for a little while its worth a shot.
Also the Hastings Diesel Unit was due in just as Cromwell departs, so this means I have to give priority to one or the other.
I knew the Hastings was due in on platform 7 but I didn't know which platform Cromwell was headed so I tried to find the best place to catch them both which isn't easy as the station is undergoing a major rebuild.
Then a station announcement came saying it was due on platform 10 which was the other side of the station so I got in position to get shots of it coming in.
Fortunately it came in a minute or so early which gave me chance to get a couple of shots then dash over the other side for the hastings unit.
As the steamer was pulling out I could see a slim strip of yellow in the distance which was motor car 60016 "Mountfield" 
There are currently 3 operational Hastings Motorcars and 60016 has been painted with a full yellow end which a small number carried in the late 60's.
Unfortunatly there was a First Great Western HST in platform 8 blocking my view but after a little bit of cursing it cruised out exposing the full length of the platform. 
As it rolled in I managed to get shots of all 6 vehicles in the formation, and as it was only in for 3 minutes I had to dash down the platform to get shots of it departing.

So Happy with my efforts I wandered back over to platform to wait for my train back to Reading West as the heavens opened so I was thankful of the shelter then there was an announcement saying to stand clear of platform 9 as a non stopping train was coming through.
I though this would be a freight hauled by the regular 59's or 66's but instead it was a 67 hauling the Orient Express Pullmans.
Well you can't win them all but I got some good shots of Cromwell and the Hastings which you can't beat for 10 minutes work


Oliver Cromwell sitting under the new station complex at Reading


The hastings unit lead by 60016 alongside platform 7


No comments:

Post a Comment