Wednesday 26 October 2011

Army Shunter

I popped into my local branch of Model Zone today and having a look at their limited editions I noticed a bright blue & red 08 diesel shunter.
Realising they had modeled one of the Longmoor Military Railways shunters I thought it was worth a second look.
the main draw back is the model is an 08 where as the LMR had Class 11's. Whats the difference I hear you say, well from a modelling point of view the main difference is the cabinets on the running plates are different apart from that its minor stuff like lights etc.
So after weighing up the pros and cons I thought there isn't any class 11's on the market and it would be a big job to convert an 08 so I thought what the heck and parted with my cash


This will go well with an old Dapol Austerity I have which is in Army Green, a few years back Hornby released an Austerity in LMR blue but the shade was well off so I never bothered getting one.
I wish the industry would think more about producing non main line locomotives as there is so many interesting prototypes out there.
This came at the right time a I have been thinking of modelling some army stuff for a while.
I have noticed at many preserved railways there are always a few ex army wagons most commonly warflats and warwells which are normally in use carrying track or boilers and stuff like that.



You also see many box vans on railways like these the top is at the East Anglian Railway Museum and the bottom is a pair at Didcot. All these vans are Ex LMS so repainting ready to run stock should be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment