Sunday 22 July 2012

Steam, Diesel & Electrics

On Saturday 21st I took a trip up to Coventry for the Electric Railway Museum as I am a fan of EMU's




Before I left I found out there was to be a steam special heading through my home town of Reading hauled by Tangmere. My normal location was Sonning Cutting but I realised the sun would be right in my face so I went to reading West. The sun was still strong but I managed to get some shade from the high trees.



The it was off to Coventry, the museum has a few open days every year and it was many years since I last visited and I knew a lot had changed

One of the stars of the show is the LMS 503 unit, restoration has started on this after many years


Another unit which is in dire need of attention is the 4SUB part of one leading car has been spruced up but thats all.
I know I sound critical but the practical approach would have been to save one unit restore it then move on to the next, but unfortunately most of their units came up for disposal all around the same time so all funds had to go into save whatever they could


Another unit which needed attention was the 2 EPB, as they didn't have the resources for the job a local graffiti was used to paint a mural on the side, I know a lot of people won't like it but it give the unit a little bit of protection until its restoration time comes around


Another unusual unit is the 501, these look the same an an EPB but were shorted for working on the North London lines, many platforms were short and this was the maximum size unit which could be accommodated. it is only in the last couple of years the platforms were lengthened for the new generation of trains


The group are most proud of the pair of Clacton Units, these are the last remaining ones of their kind and are in excellent condition 



Afterwards I headed over to Northampton where they have two line the first was the Northampton Ironstone Railway Trust and the second was the Northampton and Lamport Rly 

Sadly both were not in operation but the NIRT was totally closed so I could only manage a few shots over the fence

They seem to be a tiny site but it is full of EMU's including a rare Double Deck unit (sheeted over in the background).
No work has been carried out on these units since they were preserved almost 20 years ago and are just rotting away and taking up valuable space.
Personally I think whoever owns these vehicles should transfer them to the Electric Railway Museum where they can be cared for

The N&L was totally different even though they were closed the people on set let me look round with pleasure.
There they had a couple of main line diesels 31289 and 47205, the 31 needs a body refurb but work has happened to tart it up a bit but the 47 is in stunning condition I think it must be ex works


More shots of the can be seen on my Flickr site


No comments:

Post a Comment